Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Fresh Food & Produce Trucks in Detroit (Not the Ice Cream Man)!

In a city known for a negative image, Detroit now has a reason to be positive. A local community organization is sending out trucks that sell fresh food and vegetables like the local ice-cream man. Detroit does not have any major grocery stores within its city limits, so it makes it quite difficult for city residents (including the elderly and disabled) to get quality fruits and vegetables. I give a shout out to Peaches & Greens. We need to see more trucks like these on the streets throughout this country's inner cities.

Five days a week, the Peaches & Greens truck winds through the streets as a loudspeaker plays R&B and puts out the call: “Nutritious, delicious. Brought right to you. We have green and red tomatoes, white and sweet potatoes. We have greens, corn on the cob and cabbage, too.”

The truck set up like a small market brings affordable produce to families on public assistance, homebound seniors and others who can't reach the well-stocked grocery chains in the suburbs.

Source: Houston Chronicle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When it comes to landscaping and labor intensive work I always bring out the bad boy toys. After destroying two back ends in my truck I finally decided to purchase some heavy duty equipment to help me on my way. I have found my dump truck and bucket trucks to be very helpful with trimming tall trees and removing the debris from my yard.