Monday, August 17, 2009

Why Does a McDonald's "Mummified" Hamburger Not Rot After 12 Years?


I cannot imagine how much my health has been affected by the terrible eating habits of my youth. I practically lived on 99 cent Big Macs in high school and 99 cent Burger King Whoppers in college. People tried to warn me about the ill-effects of these foods and I just blew them off like I was invincible. If I had seen this picture, I would have likely changed my attitude and started eating more healthy.

This lady has saved a McDonald's hamburger from 1996. The 1996 McDonald's hamburger is on the left side of the picture. A 2008 McDonald's hamburger is on the right side. Do you notice anything strange about the picture? If you said that the 1996 burger looks quite preserved to be 12 years old at the time the picture was taken, then you win the no-prize!

There must be absolutely no nutrition in that burger or bun. Otherwise, there would be so much mold that we would be talking about a new life form. Although Mickey D's is quite tasty, I think I am done with eating mummified burgers that do not decay or rot after 12 years (13 years now).

I teach a workshop titled Healthy Choices for Children. It's a class for parents seeking solutions to how to improve the way they eat. It's about the alternative food market, organics, and the top ten food additives to avoid and why, menu planning and more. It's a 3 session fabulously informative interactive class.

Below is my absolutely favorite prop.

People are always astounded when I share this.

I have used this as show and tell for a very long time.

This is a hamburger from McDonalds that I purchased in 1996.

That was 12 years ago.

Note that it looks exactly like it did the very day I bought it.

And if all of that does not scare you, here is some homework reading for you: 15 Horrifying Reasons to Never Let Anyone You Love Near a McDonald's

Source: Alternet ; Best of Mother Earth (Karen Hanrahan)


1 comment:

Monica said...

Ridiculous.

http://sparkasynapse.blogspot.com/2010/10/of-mushrooms-molds-and-mcdonalds-day_31.html