Friday, April 03, 2009

Iverson Should Play Overseas in the Euroleague if NBA Teams Don't Want to Start Him in 2009-10

Allen Iverson has always been one of my all-time favorite players. A living NBA legend! A man who single handedly brought the mid-90s hip-hop mentality to the league. However, with an expiring contract and only continued reserve roles on the horizon, is the only place where Iverson can start and prosper in Europe?

Losing Iverson to the Euroleague would be a shame and a treat too. Like when Dominique Wilkins won the Euroleague for Panathinaikos in 1996. I was happy for 'Nique, but I will always wonder "what if" the Hawks didn't trade him to the Clippers in 1994.

Is Iverson willing to be a reserve next year?
“I’d rather retire before I do this again,” Iverson said. “I can’t be effective playing this way. I’m not used to it. It’s tough for me both mentally and physically. If I’m able to go out there, I should be able to get it done and I can’t right now. It’s my fault. I have to be able to overcome the adversity and do what I have to do. I just have to find a way to get it done. Not being 100 percent makes it harder and you can see that I’m not 100 percent.”

I think Iverson would thrive in the Euroleague and his popularity would bring more worldwide fans to the Euroleague. I can even imagine NBA-TV or Fox picking up some of the games. Bringing a Euroleague championship to a team would cement Iverson as an even bigger worldwide icon. If he signs a 3-year deal with a Euro team (with 1-year opt-outs), he can cap it all off with a swan song 2012 Olympics in London.

The NBA would miss Iverson if he played in Europe, and it would also likely mean he will never raise the NBA trophy like Isiah and Tiny - his peers as best 6'1" and under players. No matter that Iverson hasn't won a ring, I'll never forget the 48 points he dropped on the Lakers in the Finals that put him only three (3) wins away from one.

While Euroleague fans would love to see him cross the pond, Iverson will likely stand by his word and retire if a starting NBA position is not available. If he doesn't want to go to Europe, then I agree, because Iverson should not be jumping from team to team getting 15-20 minutes a night with the second unit on a sub-.500 team. That's not Allen Iverson.

Source: Joseph Ford, Jr.; Yahoo
Image Source: Allen-Iverson.org


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess Iverson didnt listen to your advice

The Moderator said...

Iverson probably should have listened, because it is not working out in Memphis (Iverson Leaves Grizzlies).