Saturday, June 05, 2010

Huge Coronal Hole in the Sun with Solar Wind Stream Arriving on Earth June 7 or 8

The more I write on the blog, the more I realize how much I do not know. I have no idea what a huge coronal hole in the Sun along with the resulting solar wind will do to this planet, but I am quite sure that it will have some effects. I'm feeling lazy today, so if someone wants to write a simple explanation about solar winds in the comments, then please do so. Thank you. I will eat my vitamins and not be so lazy tomorrow.

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory is monitoring a dark rift in the sun's atmosphere. The spacecraft's Atmospheric Imaging Assembly (AIA) took this extreme ultraviolet picture just hours ago:

It's a "coronal hole," a vast region where the sun's magnetic field has opened up and allowed the solar wind to escape. Indeed, a solar wind stream flowing from this hole is heading toward Earth, due to arrive on June 7th or 8th.

Source: Space Weather


No comments: