Zbigniew Brzezinski spoke about U.S. policy in Afghanistan and counterinsurgency strategy. In his remarks he stressed the need to facilitate a political environment that respected traditional decentralization of power, while building a strong national political structure. He also talked about military troop levels and the U.S. mission in Afghanistan.
If you are looking for further analysis of this video, check out David Swanson's article called Brzezinski Says Ignore US Public on Afghanistan.
These are paraphrases. For exact wording get the video. Here are my notes on Brzezinski's remarks:
1. "Withdrawal from Afghanistan in the near future is a No-No." He gives no reason, just takes it for granted everyone agrees. Says #2 will be more controversial.
2. Don't repeat what Soviet Union did. Don't Americanize the American occupation of Afghanistan.
3. Make sure NATO and anybody else willing is there with the Americans, esply Islamic troops.
The Three Fundamental Noes.
1. Deny safe haven to al Qaeda. That is THE objective. Don't build a nation.
2. Be sensitive to ethnic diversity while we're building a nation.
3. Do what USSR did in crushing democratic movements in places like Poland. Hire natives to fight.
4. We may have to put in more troops. Control cities and roads. Undertake counterinsurgency.
5. Pursue accomodations with Taleban and Talebanlike formations.
6. Keep economic assistance flowing rather than abandoning Afghanistan as we did after the counterinsurgency against the USSR. Seduce the population.
7. Involve the Europeans in funding elimination of narcotic crops.
8. Be more respectful of Pakistani strategic interests in Afghanistan.
9. Engage China and Iran with their interests in Afghanistan.
10. Build a North-South pipeline to the Indian Ocean.
11. Rename it The Vietghanipipelinistan Quagmire of Freedom.
OK I made up #11.
Source: CSPAN; AfterDowningStreet.org